Hiring an M&A advisory firm is one of the smartest decisions you can make when you need to either buy or sell a company. They can help you navigate the whirlwind that is bound to ensue when the process acquisition begins. However, you need to be careful about who you choose to work with because enlisting the wrong advisor can prove to be nothing short of a financial and operational disaster. The last thing you want happening is partnering with someone who doesn’t have your needs at heart.
Before settling on an M&A advisory firm, here’s what you need to be looking for.
What to Look for in an M&A Advisor
- They understand you, your company, and your expectations. Working with an advisor that doesn’t have your best interests in mind firstly won’t allow you to get the best out of the deal, and secondly, won’t allow you to develop a long-lasting business relationship.
- Research their experience in your industry’s sector. Go over their educational and professional background, their professional qualifications, and prior experience.
- Do your best to find out about their connections—regional, national, and global. In order to get you buyers with good offers, your advisory firm should know who to contact.
- Their valuation services should be accurate and thorough. Good M&A advisors are well-informed on current market activity, industry trends, average multiples, and other valuation factors to provide a precise ballpark figure for your company’s worth. If the assessment doesn’t meet your standards or your expectations, you’re welcome to disagree. However, you should be prepared to provide and justify your own number with proper valuation methodologies.
- Lower fees are a double-edged sword. While it’s tempting to opt for the company that charges the lowest fees, it isn’t necessarily the better route to take. It’s wise to treat the decision of hiring an M&A advisor as an investment. No matter what, your number one goal should be to maximize your ROI, and that typically comes from hiring the best firm for the job.
If you’re looking to sell your business or making your next acquisition—you’ve come to the right place. Gulfstream offers its M&A services across the United States, including South Carolina, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Florida, Georgia and Pennsylvania.
We are an esteemed M&A business advisor with decades of experience in helping clients maximize ROI through streamlined acquisition processes, strategic exit planning, and thorough business valuations.
Contact the Gulfstream team for more information or call at 1-704-892-5151.